Friday 23 March 2012

Little Shadows

                                                                                               R480                                                       32.19 x 43.93 cm                 


This is one of my favourites.
As you may have noticed, I am quite obsessed with detail (this drawing fulfilled my compulsion nicely) and I've found that I have to counter it with lots of quiet negative space around all the anal line work.I don't want to say too much, because I like it when people interpret pieces for themselves. Just like it is with music. When you hear a song that you like, it resonates with you because generally apply the lyrics to your own experiences and can relate to it better. It is as though the song was written just for you..and by applying it to your circumstances it kind of makes it 'your' song. Yes no? Anyway, that is how I would like people to interpret my illustrations. 

So. Here is naughty kid all dressed up in her bird suit doing her best to literally scare the life out of some little birds but most of them are not really phased. (I really like little birds.)
I've embossed some ghost birdies going up the left hand side for those poor few who could not bear the fright.
I like to think that my work appears sweet and whimsical at first, but a darker undertone soon overrides the first impression, which is especially evident in this piece. 
The print came out really beautifully, thanks to the editing skills of my boyfriend Quint who will henceforth be referred to as Pants, his russian mafia alter-ego that makes his appearance  between 8-12 most mornings. Its not as fun as it might sound. Really. Check out his magical illustrations here.



1 comment:

  1. amazing:)
    love your work!!!
    keep doing what you love!!! :D
    xxx Jess H :D

    ReplyDelete